A “BIRD” is a feathered vertebrate, warm blooded creature whose body temperature remains bit constant irrespective of surroundings and their activities due to their non-conducting feathers which is main characteristics separating them from other creatures. They have hollow bones which helps them keep their body weight light with complex muscular anatomy having breast muscle comprising of about 25 percentage of the body weight. They have a beak also called as bill, the shape of a beak directly relates to what they eat which has evolved its self over the years for the purpose of cutting, tearing, flower and mud probing, seed crushing, wood chiseling and to grip a fish. This evolution make them independent in terms of their struggle in food chain. Similarly their feet has also shaped itself for their need to hunt, run, cling, climb and swim. Birds have an acute eyesight which is almost 10 times sharper than most of mammals, woodcocks has got 360 degree of view because their eyes on sides of its head. An Owl eyes are so developed that they have better than normal night view because they don’t have eye balls rather they are elongated tubes and that’s the reason they cannot move their eyes, this is the power of evolution that they have developed their anatomy which allows them to rotate their neck.
Birds are warm-blooded, egg-laying vertebrates with approximately ten thousand probable species. as per the study of fossils, birds evolved from theropod dinosaurs.
Interesting Facts about Birds :
- A Humming Bird can fly backwards and sideways
- Kiwis are blind and they hunt by smell
- Birds eat twice their weight in a day (So the phrase “Eat like a Bird” is definitely in virtual sense of words)
- Most birds eye covers almost 50% of their head
- Most common bird in this world is “Chicken”
- Kingfisher, Grebe, Swift, Loon and humming birds can not walk
- Bats are not Birds and they fly (Everything that flies are not Birds)
- Penguins are Birds who can swim
- Peregrine Falcon is fastest bird in this world
- Bee Humming bird is the smallest and Ostrich is biggest of all birds
- Ostrich also has biggest eye of all mammals.
- Sauras Crane is tallest flying bird as Ostrich cannot fly
- A Bird’s heart beat at the rate of 400 to 1000 beats per minute depending on their activity
- Albatross can sleep while on flight
- Madagascar Pochard and Siberian Crane are the most rare bird